Nov 19, 2019
Brian Mayer talks to Ron Deal, Greg Pettys, and David Edwards about
their new book called The Smart Stepfamily Guide to Financial
Planning. As we discuss all the time complications in blended
families are a given. Finances is a subject for blended
families that is no different. Today we have a great
interview lined up with all 3 authors that we are excited to bring
to you. We hope you enjoy today’s message. For more
information and additional resources please visit our website at
- Ron Deal: founder of Smart Stepfamilies, director of
FamilyLife Blended for Family Life, author of many books for
stepfamilies. He is also a licensed marriage and family
therapist and popular speaker
- Greg Pettys has well over 30 years of experience with
securities and life insurance and regularly speaks with Ron at his
- David Edwards is an estate planning and elder law attorney who
also speaks at Ron’s Smart Stepfamily events.
- Here are the questions we will be tackling on today’s
- What inspired the three of you to team up to write a book for
stepfamilies and financial planning?
- Trust is a big issue for couples in remarriage because of past
hurts. What would you say to a couple where one or both are
very timid to want to even move forward with financial planning
together because they have a fear of being hurt again?
- Talk About the Groundwork Couples in Blended Families Should
lay Before proceeding to Planning Including Values About Money
(i.e. a spender versus a saver, money as security versus money as
enjoyment, Dave Ramsey calls them Nerds versus Free Spirits
- What is the “Togetherness Agreement” and Why is it
- Discuss the importance of Merging and the Concept of the “Three
Pots of Money”
- What are a couple of the most common issues that come up with a
former spouse when it comes to financial planning in a new
- What are the most important things to consider with financial
planning when it comes to the kids in the blended family?
- Let’s Talk About Retirement. You Talk About a 5 Step
Process. What are some important concepts to consider in this
- What else have we not covered that would be important for my
listeners to know about stepfamilies and financial
- What is the best way for listeners to pick up a copy of your
- Any other resources that either you or others have produced
that would be helpful for the listeners?
Thanks For Listening!
- With so many things that take time in our lives, I am more
grateful than you know that you took time to listen to this podcast
- If you liked this episode and believe that it would be
beneficial to a friend, family member, or colleague, please share
it using the social media buttons on this page.
Remarried Life Facebook Group is a community of people
just like you who get and give support. Please join today!
As always remember that marriage is not something you have, it
is something you do. Talk to you next week unless you are
binge listening in the future in which case I will talk to you in
about a minute! Take care.