Jan 8, 2019
Brian Mayer talks about how humor can help you remarriage and
you. It had been long documented about how much humor helps
people’s physical, emotional, mental, and relationship
wellbeing. We will talk today about humor and the benefits it
can have to help your remarriage be all that it can be. We
hope you are inspired by what you hear today. For more
information and additional resources please visit our website at
- Divorce, remarriage, and blended families can certainly be
serious business. In fact sometimes it can downright
depression. With all the difficulty in raising your own kids,
the stepkids and dealing with a second, third, or fourth marriage
it can be taxing on your mental and physical body.
- Humor brings people together and has for a long time.
While jokes and things you find humorous are great, then
interaction between people regarding humor is really where the fun
in that lies. For example, earlier today I saw a video of NFL
players and funny touchdown celebrations. The funniest one I
saw involved one player rolling a football as if it were a bowling
ball and he “knocked” over several humans acting as bowling
pins. While this was extremely funny, my first thought was
wow I would love to share this with my wife. When I did share
it I felt humor and funny in it increase for me.
- Let’s talk about the benefits of humor:
- Humor let’s us escape the difficulties of life if only for a
- Humor is a defense mechanism to help protect us from the
seriousness of life. Of course with all defense mechanisms,
they can be good when used in moderation.
- It is good for your physiology. It can help relax muscle
tension and can increase the immune system.
- During conflict humor can help reduce pulse, blood pressure,
and stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. Too many
times that these stress hormones run wild in your body, can have
detrimental impacts on your body.
- Humor can bring families together. Think about something
funny said at the dinner table and how lot’s of times the entire
family will laugh. This can create memories that last a
- Humor when used by couples can help bring humanity back to each
other. A lot of times when conflict is raging one or both of
you can feel like the is a big inequality in your arguments where
it becomes a chess match when one of you gets or feels like has the
upperhand. Humor humbles us.
- The more happy and giddy and joking a couple is regarding their
past generally means they have a good base for which with to get
through current issues in life.
- All this being said, means you should work to humor into your
relationship with your partner and all of the kids.
- Don’t be so hard on others in the family when they might be
using humor as a way to protect themselves or as a way to
- Remember what the Bible says about humor. “There is a time to
weep, a time to laugh, a time to mourn, and a time to dance”
- Use humor wisely in your relationship.
Thanks For Listening!
- With so many things that take time in our lives, I more
grateful than you know that you took time to listen to this podcast
- If you liked this episode and believe that it would be
beneficial to a friend, family member, or colleague, please share
it using the social media buttons on this page.
Remarried Life Facebook Group is a community of people
just like you who get and give support. Please join today!
As always remember that marriage is not something you have, it
is something you do. Talk to you next week unless you are
binge listening in the future in which case I will talk to you in
about a minute! Take care.